Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2, 2010

A maddening discussion about the merits of Facebook and the lack thereof. Facebook. The name itself ironic considering it disposes of the usual face-to-face contact we mortals once partook at a regular rate. Meetings set up via telephone or email for the purpose of discussing and interacting face-to-face. Gone are those days a more and more stampede in large numbers to memorialize their thoughts, wishes and angst on Facebook, in totality erasing the battlefield of human discussion. Hide behind that monitor and keyboard. Insult your way into winning a discussion via hit-and-run tactics. Facebook, a place where once friends met, now a place for cowards to wage battles; their chance of feeling manly and important, as they lie about dick size and mentality. Facebook - the irony lost on those spending hours per day playing games, waging wars and nosing into others affairs. The great eraser of life in its human form, something that now resides in the vast wasteland of missed opportunity. Concerns kept veiled without human interaction.

2 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Awww! I love Facebook. I'm so glad I can stay in touch with people from Elementary, Middle, High School and College. I'd never be able to, otherwise. I get to know the day-to-day stuff of their lives, instead of just a Christmas card, if that. Even with my best friend, it's nice to see the little things that happen in their day. It's almost like we live in the same town again, you know? Otherwise, a weekly phone call skips over that minutiae.

I hate talking on the phone, but I'm happy to meet face-to-face. My best friend, of course, gets to talk to me on the phone.

Kath Calarco said...

Natasha, I understand your point. If something keeps people who once lived near, but far away now, then of course it's a priceless commodity. My concerns are on a grander scale, as it appears that many do their battling and belittling under the cloak of a keyboard and monitor. Plus, I'm making an effort to be more face-to-face with those I can locally, especially my base of writer friends. :)

But you and I will still stay connected! I value your opinions, advice and really cool suggestions. To this day many of your special traits have influenced my thinking, especially in the field we share - writing.